Monday, January 17, 2011

wine weekends & marrying myself...

i've discovered this artsy girl on youtube... i don't know her but i kind of feel she's put a bug in my mind and is articulating many of my thoughts in her creative little videos... this video will lead into what i'm about to write about so be sure to watch it...


This past weekend I went on a trip up north to wine country with some co-worker/friends of mine.  We sipped, we laughed and we talked about things I cannot even think of publishing on this blog.  And yes, I managed to watch an entire season of 30 Rock. Yes.  My heart still belongs to Kenneth but after this weekend, I heart Tracey.  I haven't been this addicted to sitcoms since Cosby Show reruns in college.  Don't judge me.

Anyways, one of the topics that seemed to keep popping up this weekend was one I would like to refer to as "the unisexual" conversation.  Don't look it up on urban dictionary because their definition is less than satisfying.  I just did it.  Anyways, as you can imagine the on-going discussion on being unisexual was mostly non-sense as we asked ourselves questions like: "Do you think it would one day be legal to marry yourself?"  Really the conversations we had about unisexism have nothing to do with what I'd like to say tonight.  The video just reminded me of the ridiculous things we talked about as she talked about marrying herself.  It got me to thinking... 

And now... I think it's time to marry myself...


I'm not saying I don't like men or that I think I've been disappointed and heart broken too many times so I am giving up on the idea of sharing my life with someone at some point.  What I want is to appreciate what I have today and not get too cynical about what I don't have.  I want to figure out how to be alone and realize that it's better than waiting for a call from some tall dark handsome man with a Spanish accent.  I don't want to waste my time being tricked by the idea of happiness, while missing out on the greatness of what's in front of me.  I am learning how great it is to try new things and do the things I like without worrying if I'm making a mistake or if someone might not approve.  It's been freeing and I like it.  I think the video girl articulated it better than I have.

Dear andyradorfman,
Thanks for reminding me how important it is to go on bike rides and love myself and that life is about making mistakes and learning from them.
-me

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I think more people should take the wedding vows for themselves...vow to love, honor and cherish themselves, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer etc. Where are you registered?
    Slider

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear '-'
    I agree. This video hit home in so many ways. I could have written seven posts in response to all of the things she had to say. She covered a lot of ground and did it well. I will be registering at the traditional places that people who get married often register at like Bed Bath and Beyond, Target and World Market. Also, since I am marrying myself and like to dress 'young' and wear pretty underwear for myself I'll be registering at Charlotte Russe, Forever 21 and Victoria's Secret. And since I like food but there is no Trader Joes here I'll register there too and people can ship me bottles of 2 buck chuck and dried fruit.

    ReplyDelete